On the West Nanjing Road, the Jing'an Temple is located. It is quite popular among tourists. The Buddhist temple has a remarkable history. It was built in 247 AD. It was originally located beside the Wuzong River, relocated in 1216 during the Song Dynasty, and rebuilt in the Qing Dynasty in the 1880s.
Visiting the temple’s three halls and their courtyards and at the same time seeing the Shanghai’s modern skyscrapers on the horizon, shows impressively how history and modern spirit coexists in this city.
Fun & Interesting
While the temple became a plastic factory during the Cultural Revolution, in 1983 it returned to a Buddhist temple.